Sunday 20 October 2013

Lightwell Jones - Magazine Scene 7" Tramp TRSP-0002, 1973(?)

Look, we know nothing about Lightwell Jones, but we have even less clue what they're on about with Magazine Scene, a succession of fluff headlines from women's lifestyle magazines set to an equally lightweight boogie backing. On planet Htrae this might be the theme to Bizarro Paper Giants, but back here on Earth the juxtaposition of manly grunting and lyrics about being single and pregnant is pretty damn awkward. In other words, it's pretty great. "It comes out on Tuesday with a free plastic cyclotron" - inspired free association, or a reference to the kind of plastic cyclotron given away by Creative Recording And Sound Services? Nah, in all likelihood they're describing one these doohickeys, which makes it all disappointingly mundane. I guess grillfat-lite about Women's Weekly is one of those things that's better if you don't think about it too much.

Magazine Scene [Download]


On the flip, Jeffery - whoever he is - shows his more serious side with stab at the more succinct end of West Coast psych rock. Not bad, but let's be honest, Tripsichord Music Box it ain't. Probably shoulda reserved side 2 for a sub-Quo boogie about Reader's Digest.

Christina [Download]


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll subscribe
Steve

Anonymous said...

That's a fab description because i have this single in my record collection.I have no idea where I got it from and it has never to my knowledge been played be me.I would have to assume that it is in mint condition and judging by what you have written it is going to stay that way.